Where do we even begin on this one? 250,000 smart cards issued to Mr. All-and-Sundry and Mrs. God-only-knows-who so they can find out what I’ve been treated for, which conditions I suffer from, how old I am and worst of all how much I weigh? I think not………….
Have these people also considered the fact that measures such as this will make a lot of people think twice about receiving treatment for fear of being found out. We already spend millions on people who have postponed seeking treatment until their conditions are so serious that correcting them becomes a more expensive and complicated proposition. What happens when instead of going too late they opt to not go at all? It will cost us and it will cost us big time.
Of all the STUPID ideas that have been mooted re the NHS, this one might win the prize. So get out your pens and papers darlings and repeat after me:
The Secretary of State for Health
79 Whitehall Terrace
London SW1A 2NS
(And send the same letter to your GP)
Dear Sir/ Madam
I require you not to begin processing my sensitive personal data to the proposed NHS Summary Care Record on the Spine. It is likely to cause me substantial unwarranted distress because:
1. No ‘sealed envelopes’ yet exist to limit access
2. No online patient system yet exists to correct errors
3. Data uploaded may include genetic, psychological or sexual information
4. It is intended to make my data available to social workers, researchers and commercial firms
5. My consent will not be asked before beginning processing
6. Adequate criminal penalties against abuse do not yet exist
7. Police and other agencies can gain access to a potentially unlimited range of information about me. There is abundant evidence that computer databases – including police, vehicle licensing and banking computers – are routinely penetrated by private investigators on behalf of clients, including media organisations
8. 250,000 smart cards have been issued granting access to the Spine
9. The department threatens to withhold appropriate medical care to objectors
10. Doctors say there is no necessity to design the Spine in this way
For these reasons, among others, I strongly fear that I am in danger of having false or damaging health information fall into the wrong hands. My privacy is being unnecessarily violated.
Ms. Morag Mindbender
If these people thing we’re going to sit still for this one they really do have another thing coming!